Now that we have read excerpts of Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau, it is time to think about how the principles of Walden. Look at the following themes:
- Materialism and greed
- Humankind and unity with nature/power of nature/value of nature
- Individuality /non-conformity
- The illusion of progress
- The value of change
For each theme, you need to do the following:
1. Decide if you agree or disagree with Thoreau’s stance on this theme as expressed in Walden.
2. Identify the theme in your learning artifact.
3. Find an image or images that support your stance on the theme.
4. Copy the lines from the textbook from Walden that correspond with this theme; put the text in quotation marks and include the page number in parentheses at the end of the line.
You may use any of the following mediums or a combination of the following mediums to create your project:
- Old fashioned construction paper, markers, glue, cut-outs of photos from magazines (see me).
- Your Wiki (post your work on your Wiki); you may include Slide created photo galleries if you choose for each theme.
- PhotoStory (if you know how to use this software)
Poems and lines from songs (in limited quantities) may also be interspersed with your project as long as they relate to a particular theme from the list above.
This project is due at the end of the evening on Thursday, October 4. You may work alone or with one other partner. Your work will be evaluated for creativity, completeness, adherence to directions, and effort.
See me if you need help finding images; we have magazines you may use here if you are doing choice 1. Also, be sure to refer back to your textbook for the quotes and excerpts of text.