Please consider these questions:
- What did you think of the video version of The Crucible? Which character did you like most and why? Which character did you like least and why? For which character did you have the most sympathy? Why?
- In your opinion, what was the most dramatic or important part of the story? Why?
- Look up the definition of the term crucible; in your opinion, what WAS the “crucible” of this play? Explain.
- Do you think something of this nature in which mass hysteria or fear could overcome logic and reason could happen in the United States today? Why or why not? Exaplin.
- What would you have done if you had been in John Proctor’s shoes? Why? Do you agree with his decision at the end of the story? Why or why not?
- Why is this historical event worth knowing about? Why do you think Arthur Miller chose this event as a parallel to McCarthyism? What can we learn from these tragic events in history that can help us in the present?
Explain your answers to these questions in multiple paragraphs of 4-7 sentences each.