Look back over the Emily Dickinson poems you have read this evening. Choose TWO of the poems to analyze (in paragraph format). Please answer all of these questions about EACH poem you have chosen to explore. Respond in paragraph format.
What is your first reaction to this poem? Feelings about it? Possible meanings?
What ideas, thoughts, impressions, and/or images stand out for you after reading this poem?
What was most the most interesting, intriguing, or favorite line from this poem? Why?
What line, lines, stanza, or stanzas were most confusing to you? Why?
What words in this poem seem especially important to you? Why?
What seems to be the mood or feeling of this poem? What words create this mood?
- What literary devices or poetic devices (if any) did you notice about this poem?
- What are your impressions of the way the stanzas and line breaks are organized and presented? Do you think these choices were intentional? Why might the poet organize the poem as she has?
- Would you recommend this poem to someone else? Why or why not? How do you feel about the poem?
- What connections can you make with this poem? How do you relate to this poem? Or if you do not connect with this poem, why do you think this is?
- What qualities of this poem seem unique to Dickinson’s style of writing and choice of themes?
- What is one question or a point of confusion you have about this poem?